About Me

My photo
Welcome to the AIF Online Museum, a virtual exhibition of artifacts pertaining to the Australian Imperial Force that are held in my private collection.

Search the Museum

Follow the AIF online Museum's updates by email

Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Returned From Active Service Badge: Private Arthur Edward Heywood, 39 Battalion, AIF

ID Number    PERS007

Title                Returned From Active Service Badge: Private Arthur Edward Heywood, 39 Battalion, AIF

Maker             Stokes and Sons

Object Type  

Place made     Australia: Victoria, Melbourne

Date made      c 1918-1919

Physical          Brass

A circular brass badge surmounted by a King's Crown. Around the outside of the badge in raised lettering is 'ISSUED BY DEPT. OF DEFENCE RETURNED FROM ACTIVE SERVICE'. In the center of the badge is the rising sun under which is 'A.I.F.' in raised letters. On the reverse of the badge are two brass lugs, both of which have been twisted to accommodate a fastening pin placed horizontally. Beneath the lugs is impressed the badge number '219247'. Stamped under the badge number are the maker's details 'STOKES & SONS MELB'. Above the lugs has been marked ‘A E HEYWOOD’.

Arthur Edward Heywood was a 25 year old farm labourer from Narrung, Victoria, when he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) on 26 January 1917. Arthur had previously attempted to join the AIF; however, he was rejected on the grounds of being unfit due to having a hernia. 3172 Private Heywood embarked for overseas from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A70 Ballarat on 19 February 1917 with the 7 Reinforcements of the 39 Battalion.

He disembarked at Devonport, England on 25 April 1917 and the next day marched into 10 Training Battalion, Durrington. On 17 August 1917 Private Heywood was sentenced 4 days Field Punishment Number 2 with a forfeiture of 28 days pay, for conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline in that he neglected to put on his web equipment when he was ordered to do so. Heywood proceeded overseas to France via Southampton 20 August 1917 and the next day he marched into 3 Australian Division Base Details, Rouelles, France. He was there until 29 August 1917. Private Heywood was taken on strength of the 39 Battalion on 1 September 1917.

On 12 March 1918 Private Heywood was accidentally wounded, suffering serve phosphorous burns to face, hands, neck and left arm.  He was admitted to both the 10 Field Ambulance and also the New Zealand Stationary Hospital, Wisques on the day of the wounding. On 31 March 1918 he was sent to 2 Australian General Hospital, Boulogne. Heywood was invalided to the UK and admitted to the Fulham Military Hospital, Hammersmith, London, on 8 April 1918. On 24 April 1918 he was admitted to 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield. He was granted furlough from 30 May to 13 June 1918.  At the conclusion of his furlough Heywood reported to 2 Command Depot, Weymouth. He returned to Australia 6 August 1918 due to his injuries, disembarking in Melbourne on 28 September 1918. Private Heywood was discharged 18 September 1919. Arthur Heywood died on 15 July 1945.

Private Heywood took part in the battles of Broodseinde on 4 October, and Passchendaele on 12 October 1917.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.